BREAKING NEWS: Special prosecutor decides not to use a grand jury in the Trayvon Martin shooting death investigation.
The Florida special prosecutor investigating the Trayvon Martin shooting has decided not to use a grand jury, but says that should not be considered a factor in her final determination of the case.
The office of Florida State Attorney Angela Corey announced the decision this morning in a statement, USA TODAY’s Marisol Bello reports. Gov. Rick Scott appointed Corey as the special prosecutor on March 22.
She said at the outset that she might well forego using a grand jury.
The grand jury that had been set to convene April 10 had been called for by the former prosecutor in the case.
Martin, 17, was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, 28, on Feb. 26 as he walked home from a convenience store. Police did not arrest Zimmerman, who said he shot the youth in self-defense.
Martin’s death has led to nationwide protests by people calling for Zimmerman’s arrest.
“We want to believe that this would be a positive sign that the prosecutor has enough information to arrest Trayvon Martin’s killer,” said Benjamin Crump, an attorney for the Martin family, moments after Corey released the news. “The family is really trying hard to be patient and have faith in the system.”
Crump added that Corey’s office would now be making the decision on whether to charge Zimmerman with a crime, USA TODAY’s Yamiche Alcindor reports.
He said he hoped such a decision could be made this week.