Syria, Russia Reject WH Allegations Of Chemical-Attack Plans

Syria Russia Reject WH Allegations Of Chemical Attack PlansTop officials in Syria and at the Kremlin dismissed the White Houseโ€™s accusations late Monday that Bashar al-Assadโ€™s regime appears to be preparing another chemical attack on civilians. Ali Haidar, Syriaโ€™s minister for national reconciliation, told the Associated Press on Tuesday that the Trump administrationโ€™s charges were just part of a new diplomatic campaign against Syria at the United Nations. In Moscow, Dmitry Peskov, Russian President Vladimir Putinโ€™s spokesman, declared โ€œsuch threats to Syriaโ€™s legitimate leaders are unacceptable.โ€
โ€œThe United States has identified potential preparations for another chemical-weapons attack by the [Bashar al] Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children,โ€ the White House said in a statement late Monday. โ€œAs we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass-murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price.โ€ The statement warned the alleged activities โ€œare similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017 chemical-weapons attackโ€โ€”after which the U.S. military fired cruise missiles at the airfield where the suspected bombers took off.