Committee will show exactly what Trump was doing during the attack
Two former White House staffers are to give testimony at the House January 6 committee’s Thursday evening hearing as the panel investigates what Donald Trump was doing when his supporters burst into the Capitol.
According to the individual, who wished to remain anonymous because they were not permitted to address the topic publicly, both Sarah Matthews, a former press assistant, and former deputy national security advisor Matthew Pottinger are anticipated to testify. Following the uprising on January 6, 2021, which delayed Congress from certifying President Joe Biden’s election, both Pottinger and Matthews resigned on the spot.
Aides and insiders begged the president to order the rioters to leave, according to previous hearings that described the mayhem within the White House. But he didn’t do so for more than three hours, and there are still a lot of unanswered concerns regarding what he was explicitly doing and saying as the violence took place.
According to lawmakers on the nine-member panel, the hearing would present the strongest proof yet of Trump’s “dereliction of duty” on that particular day, with witnesses describing how he failed to control the enraged crowd.
Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., a member of the House committee looking into the incident who will assist oversee Thursday’s session, said on Sunday that “we have filled in the blanks.” “This is going to really open people’s eyes.”
He said, “The President throughout this period did not do too much but joyously watch television.
The panel’s year-long inquiry has turned out a number of facts about the former president’s activities as a mobster.
The people closest to Trump, including his congressional friends, Fox News commentators, and even his own children, sought to convince him to call off the riots or issue a statement urging the rioters to disperse, according to testimony and documents.
Ivanka Trump reportedly went to her father at one point to directly beg him for help after those around him were unsuccessful, according to evidence. All of their initiatives fell short.
The hearing on Thursday will be the first to be broadcast in prime time since its premiere on June 9 in front of an estimated 20 million viewers.
The hearing comes amid the revelation that the Secret Service was found to have erased texts sent and received around January 6. The committee has issued a subpoena demanding access to any pertinent electronic communications made by agents at the time of the attack, but so far they have told Congress that the texts were deleted in a ‘system upgrade’, an explanation that some in the media have called “B.S.”.