Some good news for Democrats as polling shows a shift to Dems
There is some good news for a change for Dems as four national polls have just been released and show the Democrats are starting to perform better than Republicans in the generic ballot polls.
While many analysts and GOP leaders continue to express confidence that the Dems will lose control of Congress in the midterms elections, these four recent national polls have shown that more voters prefer Democrats to control Congress than Republicans.
Recent historical precedent demonstrates that during the midterm elections of the president’s first term, the party controlling the White House often loses seats in the House and Senate. With thin majorities in both houses of Congress, Democrats are in charge, but merely a few defeats may give Republicans power. President Joe Biden’s popularity rating is currently at historic lows, which many believe to be a negative omen for the possibilities of the Democratic Party prevailing in November.
Despite the pessimistic predictions for Democrats, four polls released since last Friday show that people favor them more than Republicans.
Democrats have a 2-point advantage over Republicans in a generic congressional election, according to the Georgetown Institute of Politics Poll conducted released Thursday. Voters supported the Democrats with 48% of the vote, compared to the GOP at 46%.
A total of 1,000 registered voters participated in the survey. (+/- 3.5 point margin of error).
Democrats were four points ahead in a different poll from USA Today/Suffolk University. In that poll, 44 percent of registered voters favored Democrats, compared to 40 percent who supported Republicans. The same survey from mid-June showed Republicans and Democrats deadlocked at 40%, which means Democrats had increased by 4 points since then, a positive sign of movement in the electorate.
A total of 1,000 registered voters participated in the poll. (+/- 3.1% margin of error).
Democratic polling from The Economist/YouGov showed a 6 point advantage over the Republican. According to that poll, 44 percent of respondents supported the Dems, while 38 percent supported the GOP . Another turn in the Democrats’ favor. Democrats gained three points from earlier in July, when the results were 43 percent for Democrats and 40 percent for Republicans.
A total of 1,311 registered voters participated in the survey. (+/-3.1-point margin of error).
Yet another, Politico/Morning Consult conducted a poll in which Republicans fell 4 points behind Democrats. 41% of registered voters backed the conservative party, compared to 45% who supported the liberal party.
A total of 2,006 registered voters participated in the poll (+/- 2 percent margin of error).
Late on Tuesday, the election model on the news and polling analysis website FiveThirtyEight predicted that Democrats had a 52 percent probability of maintaining their majority in the Senate and that Republicans had a 48 percent chance of doing so. For the first time before to the November midterm elections, the model indicated the Democrats had an advantage.
The FiveThirtyEight poll predicted on Thursday afternoon that Democrats may actually gain three seats, raising their total to 53 in the Senate. Three seats are expected to be lost by the Republicans, bringing their total to only 47.
Republicans, meanwhile, are supported by historical precedence. A president in office typically loses seats in the midterm elections and Joe Biden’s approval ratings are low, but Biden is not on the ballot.
Issues seem to be taking front and center, especially regarding abortion and other rights like voting that are under attack by the Supreme Court. A recent shift in polling is also attributed to the January 6th hearings, which have illuminated the public as to what MAGA republicans are capable of.
The January 6th hearings have widely been seen as effective and having delivered the proof of a wide conspiracy amongst Trump and his associates in trying to overturn the 2020 election.
Here is David Pakman’s take and analysis below of the latest polling data: